Lubbock's COVID-19 case count declines, amid schools reopening - FOX34 Lubbock

Lubbock's COVID-19 case count declines, amid schools reopening

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, Texas -

Over the last week, the average number of new COVID-19 cases in Lubbock is fewer than 50 per day. The City of Lubbock's Director of Public Health, Katherine Wells, said this is great news heading into the fall.

"I think we do see a true decrease in the number of cases," Wells said. "That really has to do with the mask mandate."

With classes underway, Wells said the City of Lubbock Health Department has strategies to support them. 

"Our goal is to control the spread of COVID-19, to keep it at bay," Wells said. "So we can continue to reopen businesses, return to school and enjoy some of those fall sports."

Lubbock-Cooper ISD schools started a week ago. So far, two campuses have reported positive COVID-19 cases. 

"We know that there will be cases," Wells said. "The goal is to look at these exposures and make sure that individuals that are sick are properly isolated and those that have been in close contact with a case are quarantined to reduce the spread in any facility in this town."

The health department is also pushing flu vaccinations. 

"We really will be facing a twin epidemic when the 2020-21 influenza season starts," Wells said.

Lubbock-Cooper ISD Superintendent Keith Bryant said despite the pandemic, he has seen an increase in enrollment this year. 

"We have an enrollment today of about 7,250 students," Bryant said. "Which is an increase of about 400 from this same time last year."

85 percent are receiving in-person instruction, while the other 15 percent are virtual

"We have seen a number of parents indicate a desire for their kids to return in-person instruction," Bryant said. "In our district, we are allowing that to occur at the end of the first three weeks of school and from then on, at the end of each of our 9-week grading periods."

City leaders agreed that school is essential and it needs to stay open. 

"Having them back is such a great opportunity for our community," Bryant said. "Number one, is to educate kids obviously, number two, it provides that all important place for kids to be as parents return to work and most importantly it brings a sense of normalcy back into our society that is so needed today."

Bryant said every parent and staff member is notified if there is an exposure within the school and the proper protocols are being taken to alleviate some parents fears. 

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2020 RAMAR. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.