Lieutenant Stewart's secrets to success - FOX34 Lubbock

Lieutenant Stewart's secrets to success

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, Texas -
In 1997, Jason Stewart was working odds and ends jobs and searching for his purpose.

"Some people grow up their whole life saying I'm gonna be a police officer, from day one, my life wasn't like that" Stewart said. "I always admired it and I always thought it would be a very cool job to have, but I never pursued it until someone pursued me."

A random phone call from the chief of police in his hometown in Louisiana changed everything.

"He asked if I wanted a job and I was like chief I have no idea about anything in law enforcement," Stewart recalled. "He said I know, but I like you son, you've got good character."

Stewart gladly accepted the job and started with an open mind, acting as a sponge. This mentality led to a 23 year and counting career, filled with triumphs, challenges and a lot of changes.

"My MO has been to jump to a different division every four or five years to stay fresh and motivated," Stewart said.

Stewart has worked in patrol, criminal investigations, communications and swat, to name a few.

"You have to leave those areas to broaden your expertise and your knowledge in law enforcement," Stewart said. "When you get comfortable, I think that's when you stop learning."

Stewart has even filled roles he wasn't familiar with at all.

"I was assigned as a narcotics supervisor rand heck, I didn't know anything about narcotics," Stewart explained. "Luckily there was phenomenal people over there at the time that helped me and got me up to speed with everything, and that really meant a lot to me."

Last year, Stewart was invited to attend the FBI National Police Academy.l

"That was probably one of the highlights of my career," Stewart said. "I attended it with 258 other departmental leaders from across the world."

It was three months long and Stewart said he was tested both mentally and physically.

"It was very, very challenging," Stewart said. "It made me a better person and a better supervisor, without a doubt."

This career is not for everyone and Stewart said it takes a solid support system.

"My wife is phenomenal," Stewart said. "From day one she has not complained about any schedule change, any shift change or any assignment and I would have to attribute a lot of my success to her. She is my backbone."

Stewart called being in a role that is highly criticized by the public, a good thing.

"I tell my guys all the time that if the public is critical of you, work harder, change their minds," Stewart said. "The Lubbock community is by far one of the most police friendly communities that I've ever been around."

Lieutenant Stewart is currently on patrol and communications. He doesn't know what's next, but said he'll continue to be the best public servant he can be.

• Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

Trump honors fallen soldiers as nation battles against virus

Monday, May 25 2020 12:49 AM EDT2020-05-25 04:49:52 GMT
    Tuesday, May 26 2020 3:09 AM EDT2020-05-26 07:09:50 GMT
    (AP Photo/Alex Brandon). In this Friday, May 22, 2020, photo, President Donald Trump speaks during a "Rolling to Remember Ceremony," to honor the nation's veterans and POW/MIA, from the Blue Room Balcony of the White House in Washington. Trump booked b...(AP Photo/Alex Brandon). In this Friday, May 22, 2020, photo, President Donald Trump speaks during a "Rolling to Remember Ceremony," to honor the nation's veterans and POW/MIA, from the Blue Room Balcony of the White House in Washington. Trump booked b...
    President Donald Trump has booked back-to-back Memorial Day appearances amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Memorial Day even more poignant as veterans die from virus

Sunday, May 24 2020 10:10 AM EDT2020-05-24 14:10:00 GMT
    Tuesday, May 26 2020 12:30 AM EDT2020-05-26 04:30:01 GMT
    Memorial Day is meant to pay tribute to veterans who have perished.
    Memorial Day is meant to pay tribute to veterans who have perished.

NASA astronauts go back to the future with capsule launch

Monday, May 25 2020 7:39 AM EDT2020-05-25 11:39:14 GMT
    Tuesday, May 26 2020 12:29 AM EDT2020-05-26 04:29:59 GMT
    (SpaceX via AP). This illustration made available by SpaceX depicts the company's Crew Dragon capsule and Falcon 9 rocket during the uncrewed In-Flight Abort Test for NASA's Commercial Crew Program.(SpaceX via AP). This illustration made available by SpaceX depicts the company's Crew Dragon capsule and Falcon 9 rocket during the uncrewed In-Flight Abort Test for NASA's Commercial Crew Program.
    It's back to the future as NASA astronauts launch again from the U.S. — aboard a retro-style "Right Stuff' capsule.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2020 RAMAR. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.