LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) — The Texas Tech Lady Raider basketball team picked up its first top-25 win in three years on Sunday afternoon, knocking off No. 25 TCU, 87-83, to complete the regular season sweep.
It marked the Lady Raiders' first sweep of TCU in seven years. Texas Tech is also just the second Big 12 team to sweep the second-place Horned Frogs this season, with Baylor being the only other team.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Lexi Gordon scored 30 points with 11 rebounds and she and Chrislyn Carr scored clutch points in the fading seconds as Texas Tech survived a furious fourth-quarter rally to get the win.
The Lady Raiders (17-10, 6-10 Big 12 Conference) led by a seemingly comfortable 72-57 with under seven minutes to play when Lauren Heard and Kianna Ray launched a 7-0 run for TCU (20-7, 11-5). The Lady Frogs, ranked in the AP Top 25 for the first time since February 2018, came as close as 82-81 with under a minute to play.
Carr, who finished with 19 points, nine boards and eight assists, drove for a crucial layup for a three-point lead with 29 seconds left, then she and Gordon added three free throws in the last 10 seconds.
Andrayah Adams added 20 points in Texas Tech's first win over a Top 25 opponent in three seasons and its first sweep of TCU in seven seasons. The Lady Raiders were 10-for-30 from beyond the arc and owned the glass 47-34.
Gordon made five 3-pointers and was 11-for-12 from the line in the second 30-point game of her career.
WITH THE WIN, TEXAS TECH...
- Begins with a 17-10 record for the first time in the Coach Marlene era.
- Begins the season 17-10 for the first time in seven seasons (2012-13).
- Moves to 44-12 against TCU in the all-time series and 19-5 against the Horned Frogs at home.
- Records their first sweep of TCU in seven seasons.
- Earns their first win over a top-25 team in three years.
- Puts the team past the 17 win mark for the first time in seven seasons.
- Reaches six conference wins for the first time in seven seasons.
- For the third time this season, Texas Tech went with the starting five of Chrislyn Carr, Jo'Nah Johnson, Andrayah Adams, Lexi Gordon and Brittany Brewer. The Lady Raiders moved to 2-1 this season when deploying this starting five.
- Junior Lexi Gordon hit four three-pointers in the opening half on the way to a 14-point first half. Gordon and Andrayah Adams both scored in double figures in the first 20 minutes of play, with Adams scoring 11. Both had nine points in the second quarter.
- Chrislyn Carr also made her mark on the first half, recording four points and seven assists through the first two quarters of play.
- Gordon finished with her third double-double of the season and second 30-point game. She finished with 30 points and 11 rebounds.
- Carr nearly recorded her first triple-double of the season, finishing with 19 points, 9 rebounds and 8 assists. Carr's 9 rebounds are a new career high for the sophomore point guard.
- Texas Tech is one of only two Big 12 teams this season to sweep TCU, with No. 2 Baylor being the only other team.
Texas Tech wraps up its home conference schedule this Wednesday at 8 p.m. when they host West Virginia. The game will mark the team's Senior Day, where they will honor senior star Brittany Brewer.