AMES, Iowa – The Texas Tech Lady Raider basketball team picked up the program's first win over Iowa State in Ames in 18 years on Sunday afternoon, knocking off the Cyclones, 77-74, at Hilton Coliseum. The victory snapped a seven-game skid to Iowa State.
Brittany Brewer broke the program single-season blocks record in the win, now with 111 in her senior campaign.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Down junior Sydney Goodson due to injury, the Lady Raiders relied on a number of impressive individual performances to pick up the win. Senior Brittany Brewer recorded her 13th double-double of the season with a season-high 27 points, 10 rebounds and seven blocks.
In her return to her home state, sophomore Chrislyn Carr nearly had a triple-double with 14 points, eight rebounds and nine assists. She also sunk the three free throws to win the game. Lexi Gordon scored seven of her 16 points in the fourth quarter.
Texas Tech had a strong start defensively, holding the Cyclones to a 4-of-16 (25 percent) mark from the field in the opening frame. Brittany Brewer had nine points in the period to pace Tech to a 17-15 lead after the opening 10 minutes.
The Lady Raiders led by three heading into the halftime locker room, after Brewer scored another nine points in the second quarter. Tech led by as many as 11 in the quarter, before a late Iowa State run narrowed the score before the period ended.
Tech finished the third quarter on a 7-0 run, including five points in the final 19 seconds to lead by nine heading into the fourth quarter, but Iowa State opened hot and was able to tie it up before the under-five timeout. After a couple of back-and-forth scoring trips, it was Andrayah Adams that knocked down two-straight three-pointers to put Tech up six with 37 seconds to go.
Iowa State was able to force a handful of consecutive Texas Tech turnovers as the clock wound down and tied the game on a couple of Ashley Joens foul shots with 11 seconds to go.
With no timeouts left, Carr pushed the ball down the floor and got fouled on a three-pointer with 1.2 seconds to go. The sophomore sank all three as Tech denied any Iowa State shot attempt to ice the win.
- For the first time this season, Texas Tech went with the starting five of Chrislyn Carr, Jo'Nah Johnson, Andrayah Adams, Lexi Gordon and Brittany Brewer. The Lady Raiders moved to 1-0 this season when deploying this starting five.
- Senior Brittany Brewer broke the program single-season record for blocks in a season on Sunday with seven blocks to bring her 2019-20 total to 111. Brewer surpassed Cisti Greenwalt's record of 105 which had stood for 15 years (2004-05).
- Texas Tech opened the game stout defensively, holding Iowa State to 4-of-16 (25 percent) from the field in the opening quarter on Sunday. In the teams' first game of the season, Iowa State shot 12-of-16 (75 percent) in the first quarter.
- Brewer had 18 points at the half for the Lady Raiders, after scoring nine in both the first and second quarters. The senior also had five rebounds and four blocks through the first half.
- Brewer finished with her 13th double-double of the season with 27 points, 10 rebounds and seven blocks.
- Sophomore Chrislyn Carr flirted with a triple-double in her return home to Iowa, finishing with 14 points, eight rebounds and nine assists.
- Lexi Gordon recorded 16 points, including seven in the fourth quarter.
The Lady Raiders will look to wrap up their roadtrip strong on Wednesday as they travel to Stillwater, Okla., to finish off the season series against Oklahoma State.