LUBBOCK, Texas – The Texas Tech Lady Raider basketball team dropped a tough game on Sunday afternoon, falling to Texas, 81-66, in the team's annual Play4Kay game at the USA.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Lady Raiders were led by senior Brittany Brewer, who nearly had her second triple-double of the season with 23 points, 12 rebounds and eight blocks. Junior Andrayah Adams recorded 11 points, three rebounds and three assists.
The Lady Raiders led by six after the first quarter, thanks in part to a Chrislyn Carr halfcourt shot at the buzzer to extend the Tech lead to 22-16 after the first 10 minutes. Seven of the eight Lady Raiders to see the court in the quarter scored, including Brewer—who had six points, three rebounds and a pair of rejections in the opening frame—and Chrislyn Carr—who had five.
Tech extended its lead to as much as 11 in the second quarter, but a late Longhorn run cut the Lady Raider advantage to just one heading into the locker room. Texas Tech led the entire first half, save for the first 14 seconds when the teams were scoreless.
The Longhorns made their big push in the second quarter, outscoring Tech, 25-19, and taking their first lead of the game which they would extend to as big as nine in the quarter. Brewer scored 11 points on 5-of-7 shooting in the period, but Texas shot 9-of-15 as a team and pulled down six offensive boards to help take the lead into the fourth.
Texas Tech had chances late, but was unable to cut into the Texas lead in the fourth, as the Longhorns escaped with the 81-66 win.
- For the second time this season, Texas Tech went with the starting five of Chrislyn Carr, Andrayah Adams, Sydney Goodson, Lexi Gordon and Brittany Brewer. The Lady Raiders moved to 0-2 this season when deploying this starting five.
- Seven of eight Lady Raiders to see the floor in the first quarter scored for Texas Tech, led by Brittany Brewer with six and Chrislyn Carr with five after hitting a halfcourt shot at the buzzer to stretch Tech's lead to 22-16 after the first 10 minutes of play.
- Senior Brittany Brewer finished with 23 points, 12 rebounds and eight blocks on the day. It marked Brewer's 10th double-double of the season and 27th of her career.
- Brewer's eight blocks marked the senior's 10th five-plus block game of the season and third of eight or more.
- Brewer now has 1,318 points for her career and moved into 14th on the program career scoring list on Sunday, surpassing LaToya Davis and Stacey Siebert.
- Brewer has blocked 91 shots this season, and surpassed Crystal Boles for second on the program season blocks list. She is only 14 away from tying Cisti Greenwalt's 105 for the program record. Brewer is also up to 253 blocks for her career, 47 from tying Cisti Greenwalt for the program record.
- With 11 points, Andrayah Adams recorded her third-straight game in double figures, and fourth in her last five appearances.
The Lady Raiders wrap up their quick homestand this Wednesday, when they host Kansas at 7 p.m. inside United Supermarkets Arena.