LUBBOCK, Texas – The Texas Tech women's basketball team dropped a tough, 76-72, loss to Kansas State on Saturday afternoon at United Supermarkets Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Texas Tech was led by four double-digit scorers, including a 17-point, 17-rebound double-double from senior Brittany Brewer, who recorded a pair of blocks on the day as well. It marked her eighth double-double of the season and 25th of her career.
Freshman Alexis Tucker scored 16 points to go along with four rebounds. Chrislyn Carr hit four three's en route to a 14 point outing, and Lexi Gordon scored 13—all of which came in the second half.
Junior point guard Jo'Nah Johnson dished out 11 assists for a career high, also scoring eight points, pulling down five rebounds and swiping two steals.
The game was a close one throughout, with the Lady Raiders and Wildcats combining for 14 lead changes and eight ties over the course of the game. After an even, 12-12 first quarter, the two teams traded blows for much of the second, before the Wildcats were able to hit a buzzer beater to take a two-point lead into half.
Kansas State stretched its lead to nine at one point in the fourth quarter, but Tech kept fighting back. An 8-0 run late in the period, spurred by threes from Carr and Johnson, brought Tech back to even before a Savannah Simmons three in the final 20 seconds put the Wildcats back up three heading into the fourth.
The teams went back and forth yet again in the fourth quarter, with Tech even taking the lead midway through the period; however, Kansas State pulled ahead in the final two minutes and the Lady Raiders were unable to regain control of the game before time expired.
- For the fourth time this season, Texas Tech went with the starting five of Chrislyn Carr, Jo'Nah Johnson, Sydney Goodson, Lexi Gordon and Brittany Brewer. The Lady Raiders moved to 3-1 this season when deploying this starting five.
- Lady Raider senior Brittany Brewer finished with her eighth double-double of the season, recording 17 points, a career-high 17 rebounds and two blocks.
- Brewer's double-double was also the 25th of her career.
- Jo'Nah Johnson recorded a career high in assists with 11 on Saturday. Johnson is the second Lady Raider to post double-digit assists in a game this season with Chrislyn Carr's 12 against Northwestern State (11/22/19) being the most. Those marks rank Nos. 1 and 2 in the Big 12 this season.
- Brewer's 17 points pushed her career total to 1,202, surpassing Julie Lake for 18th in program history. She needs eight more points to tie Noel Johnson for 17th.
- Texas Tech has outrebounded two of its three Big 12 opponents.
The Lady Raiders return to action on the road when they travel to take on Texas at 7 p.m. on Wednesday night in Austin.