A profile of the victims of the California boat fire - FOX34 Lubbock

A profile of the victims of the California boat fire


33 of the bodies have been recovered. One is still missing but presumed dead. Autopsies are underway -- and many, if not all, of the victims are being identified through DNA analysis.

Those who died ranged from teenagers to people in their 60s.

Two of those victims were students at Pacific Collegiate School in Santa Cruz. The parents of one girl are also presumed dead.

Brett Harmeling identified his sister Kristy Finstad on Facebook. She worked for the Santa Cruz water department.

Neal Baltz and Patricia Beitzinger, a couple from Phoenix, Arizona are believed to be dead.

Lisa Fiedler of mill valley was among those killed....the 52-year-old was a hairdresser and a nature photographer.

Five members of the Shinagawa from Stockton, California are presumed dead.

Father-daughter pair, Scott and Kendra Chan, were on board...Kendra was a biologist for the U.S. fish and wildlife service. her dad was a physics teacher at American High School in Fremont, California.

A photo of Alexandra "Allie" Kurtz was added to the Santa Cruz memorial. Her mother Cherie McDonough confirmed she was aboard the vessel.

Dominic Selga confirmed his mother, and three step sisters had gone with his step father Michael Quitasol to celebrate his birthday on the conception.

Malibu Divers Facebook page commemorated the lives of Charles McIlvain and Marybeth Guiney, who are believed to have died in the tragedy.

A 26-year-old female was the one crew member that was killed. Her sister kept her name private.

Only 5 crew members are known to have survived. They were on the upper deck when the fire started and issued a mayday call before jumping off ship.

The boat was owned by Truth Aquatics in the Santa Barbara harbor, a company with a good reputation in the area.

Investigators said the diving boat didn't have a black box, which indicates what voltage the boat sends out into the water, to determine how attracted fish are to the boat.

Officials with the coast guard said there were no locked doors in accommodations spaces, only privacy curtains.

Radio watch standers handling the communications system that night... said there was a lot of adrenaline and confusion coming over the line... but those on board perished before a rescue effort could get there.

The boat is now about 65 feet underwater and the wreckage is being mapped with sonar technology.

A preliminary report on the fire is expected in ten days. A full report could take 12 to 18 months.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2020 RAMAR. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.