Oduduru: 'Deciding to go pro was hard, TTU is my home'

Oduduru: 'Deciding to go pro was hard, TTU is my home'

LUBBOCK, Texas -

Texas Tech sprinter Divine Oduduru is going pro. He's foregoing his final year of eligibility at TTU after leading the team to its first national title. The record-breaking sprinter's decision came with help from the coaching staff.

"They told me it was time to go and that I had already done everything that I needed to do for Texas Tech," Oduduru said.

Tech sprints coach Calvin Robinson recruited Oduduru and fully supports his decision to go pro. He said Oduduru's work ethic sets a great example for the rest of the team.

"He doesn't put limits on himself and we don't put limits on him," Robinson said.

"Without a doubt, he is the greatest 100-200 runner of all time in the NCAA," Texas Tech Track and Field head coach Wes Kittley said.

Oduduru is likely to make hundreds of thousands of dollars by joining a professional club combined with endorsement deals, but that isn't his focus.

"When I focus on what I need to do, I know the money will come," he said. "I need to focus more on my training and how I am going to get better. I am in a new stage in my life now."

The thought of leaving Texas Tech, what he calls family, makes the sprinter emotional.

"When I posted on my story that I was leaving and saw the way everyone was responding, I began to shed tears. These people don't just see me as an athlete. They love me, care for me, and have a better plan for my future," he said.

Oduduru hasn't decided what club he will join. He'll train in Lubbock until he gets his degree in December.

• Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>

Comey: 'Real sloppiness' in Russia probe but no misconduct

Sunday, December 15 2019 11:26 AM EST2019-12-15 16:26:24 GMT
    Monday, December 16 2019 12:56 AM EST2019-12-16 05:56:43 GMT
    (AP Photo/Kevin Wolf). Former FBI Director James Comey talks with "Fox News Sunday" anchor Chris Wallace, Sunday morning, Dec. 15, 2019, in Washington.(AP Photo/Kevin Wolf). Former FBI Director James Comey talks with "Fox News Sunday" anchor Chris Wallace, Sunday morning, Dec. 15, 2019, in Washington.
    Former FBI Director James Comey is acknowledging that a Justice Department inspector general report identified “real sloppiness" in the surveillance of a former Trump campaign aide.

Cowboys render coin toss mix-up moot, throttle Rams 44-21

Sunday, December 15 2019 8:06 PM EST2019-12-16 01:06:39 GMT
    Monday, December 16 2019 12:46 AM EST2019-12-16 05:46:51 GMT
    (AP Photo/Michael Ainsworth). Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott (4) talks with referee Walt Anderson (66) in the first quarter of an NFL football game against the Los Angeles Rams in Arlington, Texas, Sunday, Dec. 15, 2019.(AP Photo/Michael Ainsworth). Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott (4) talks with referee Walt Anderson (66) in the first quarter of an NFL football game against the Los Angeles Rams in Arlington, Texas, Sunday, Dec. 15, 2019.
    Dak Prescott made up for the gaffe that wasn't on the coin toss.
    Dak Prescott made up for the gaffe that wasn't on the coin toss.

Retiring Farmers Union president: Family farms still viable

Sunday, December 15 2019 10:36 AM EST2019-12-15 15:36:19 GMT
    Monday, December 16 2019 12:16 AM EST2019-12-16 05:16:43 GMT
    (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, File). FILE - In this Sept. 20, 2016, file Roger Johnson, President of the National Farmers Union, testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington. As Johnson prepares to step down after 11 years leading the group, he's well...(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, File). FILE - In this Sept. 20, 2016, file Roger Johnson, President of the National Farmers Union, testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington. As Johnson prepares to step down after 11 years leading the group, he's well...
    National Farmers Union President Roger Johnson is retiring after a lifetime of farming and advocating for agriculture.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 RAMAR. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.