Medical Examiner's Office working to close backlogged cases - FOX34 Lubbock

Medical Examiner's Office working to close backlogged cases

Posted: Updated:
LUBBOCK, Texas -

Lubbock County Commissioners expect to receive monthly updates on the Medical Examiner's work on a backlog of cases. There are 427 unfinished inquiries in the ME's caseload.

Commissioner Bill McCay said normally 90 percent of cases should be closed within two months and the remaining 10 percent within three.

The backlogged cases date back years, resulting in families not receiving official death certificates. 

Commissioner McCay hasn't said whether there will be any action taken against former Chief ME Sridhar Natarajan, but instead focusing on the resolution.

"There's a shortage of medical examiners across the country, and Lubbock I guess is just not the choice spot. That kind of goes back to his salary. It is unsettling. It's unsettling to have found this many cases," McCay said.

He said it will cost $1,500 to process each case and Dr. Sam Andrews will personally be closing these cases.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2020 RAMAR. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.