To stay healthy in the new year, focus on colors at the grocery store. Here are the recipes featured this week in the FOX 34 Corner Kitchen:
Grilled Avocado with fruit salsa
Yield: 4 servings
4 firm ripe fresh avocados
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup honey
1 medium mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into ½ inch cubes
½ lb. strawberries, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1. Preheat the barbecue to medium-high (300-400 degrees F), making sure the grill is well oiled or use a griddle pan on your cooktop, heat on medium high.
2. Slice the avocadoes in half lengthwise and carefully remove the seeds. In a small bowl, mix together the honey and olive oil. Brush the exposed flesh with the honey and olive oil mixtures, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a cool place.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the mango, strawberries, vinegar, orange juice, and lemon juice. Let sit for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, so the flavors can blend.
4. Grill the avocados, skin side down, for 2 t o3 minutes, or until the skin begins to lightly char and take on grill marks. Brush the flesh side of the avocados again with the honey-oil mixture and place them flesh side down on the grill for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. With a spatula, carefully remove the avocados from the grill and place them on beds of lettuce on warm serving plates, 2 halves per person. Fill the seed cavity of each avocado half with the mango-strawberry salsa. Serve with spoons to scoop out the avocado flesh and salsa.
Quick and easy Tortilla soup with Dole chopped salad
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 pkg. Dole© All Natural Chipotle and Cheddar Salad Kit
1 cup cooked corn kernels
1 cup cooked black beans
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 lime, juices, plus additional wedges for garnish
salt and pepper, to taste
sour cream, as needed
chopped cilantro, as needed
1. Heat oil in large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add cumin and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salad greens from kit to pot and cook an additional 4 to 5 minutes or until salad is wilted
2. Add corn, beans, chicken, tomatoes and chicken broth to the pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add dressing packet and lime juice; season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with sour cream, cilantro, tortilla strips, cheese and lime wedges.